Preparation is a crucial ingredient to success when interviewing for your next career opportunity. Often, we believe that process starts once the interview is secured, but in reality, it should begin prior to that heart-stopping moment when you click “submit application” on your favorite job board. It is essential to ponder, “Why would I want to work for this company?”
The unemployment scene is sticky right now, and online job postings make it ridiculously easy to apply for as many jobs as a seeker’s heart desires. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Employers are not settling for candidates, meaning that candidates need to consider a few important factors before tossing their hat into the ring:
- Am I really qualified for this particular job?
- What aspects of my resume will entice the reviewer to consider me?
- What do I know about this company?
- Why do I want to work here?
Why do I want to work here?
Yes, that last question has been a favorite of mine that I always ask. I’ve had my socks knocked off by some amazing responses, and wanted to curl up in a corner and cry at others. The top three in my “Hall of Fame” of disheartening responses have included:
- “I really don’t want to work here. My dad told me I needed a job, so I applied.”
- “Honestly, I hate your company. But, if I came to work here, I could change everything!”
- “I don’t know…I need a job.”
The first two responses are very specific (and true), but the last one is a general response I’ve received far too often. It is critical that you understand why you want to work for a company before you take your time and theirs to apply. If you cannot answer that question immediately, stop and consider the following:
- What do you know about this company already?
- Is this a brand you know and would be passionate about working with?
- If you’ve never heard of the company before, what can you learn about them from their website?
- What are the core values associated with this company? Do you align with those?
- What are reviews like for this company online from its current or past employees?
- What presence does this company have on social media?
- Would you be proud to tell your friends and family you work with this company?
Do some research.
If you’re confident you want to work for a company after truly considering it as an employer, click that “submit application” button. Continue to educate yourself on the brand. Follow them on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Set up news alerts to stay relevant with the latest and greatest. Spend more time on their website to better understand who they are and what they stand for. And when you secure that interview, and the question is asked, hopefully, you’re not stuck thinking, “I don’t know.”
The answer is clear as to why professionals want to work with and for Goodwin!
With over 20 years of experience in recruiting, and recognized as one of Forbes America’s Best Recruiting Firms 2020, Goodwin Recruiting has coached countless candidates to great jobs through transparent communication and by helping them to be the best. We believe in putting our hearts into our work while exhibiting integrity in everything we do. We believe in nurturing solid, congruent relationships with our clients, candidates, and fellow recruiting partners. Reach out to us today — we are excited to link arms and work with you!