People today enjoy access to vast quantities of information that was unimaginable just 20 years ago. Between the internet, podcasts, and e-readers, most everyone is capable of self-education. The hotel manager is particularly blessed with a plethora of widely accessible resources.
Sometimes, the sheer volume of material is overwhelming. With that in mind, here is a breakdown of top-rated hospitality resources by category.
Magazines & Blogs for the Hotel Manager
It’s often hard to distinguish between online magazines and blogs. Regardless of the classification, the following stellar resources are just a few clicks away:
- Hotel Management – This magazine and blog have roots over 140 years old! Needless to say, the publication’s credentials are impeccable. But, it’s also a database that provides access to information on a variety of hotel management topics.
- Lodging – With a focus on the North American hospitality market, Lodging is the official publication of the American Hotel and Lodging Association. It touches on many relevant subjects that range from general industry trends to business financials. Lodging is also available in traditional print format.
- Hotel Speak – This very modern website posts regular content on hotel management topics. However, it’s mostly focused on marketing and technology. Hospitality leaders seeking tips on effective social media campaigns will find it particularly helpful.
Audio resources, such as podcasts, provide education for busy hotel managers who are always on the run. Here are some of the best hospitality podcasts:
- Lodging Leaders – Hotel manager leaders dish out pragmatic advice in this easy-listening podcast. It’s available in the iTunes Store and Google Play. Best of all, the content is fresh and updated regularly.
- Hospitality Digital Marketing – This audio resource is sponsored by the Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International Council. As the name implies, it’s mostly focused on digital marketing. Rest assured, this credible source guarantees listeners receive accurate information.
- Hospitality Academy – Host, Susan Pannozzo, generously shares her knowledge gained from a lifetime in hospitality operations. It’s not an exaggeration to say she’s literally done it all! From the front desk to general hotel management, Susan cheerfully discusses best practices.
Many hospitality industry websites have links to their social media pages. Here are the most relevant platforms:
- Facebook – The “grandfather of social media” is still a great resource for staying current on hospitality industry trends. Many online magazines and blogs have Facebook pages. The real-time posts may be more current than older articles found on main websites.
- Instagram – Hotel marketing is often lifestyle focused. Because of the visual emphasis, many hospitality websites also have Instagram accounts. Make note of your favorite, and check-in periodically to keep on top of style and décor trends.
- LinkedIn – This platform isn’t as photo-friendly as the other two sites. However, it’s still a great resource for hotel manager updates. Also, many of your favorite magazines, blogs, and podcasts likely have pages with regular updates.
Hotel managers are busy people. While most can’t review every industry publication, it pays to periodically access a few trusted sources. And, podcasts are quick bites of information for those really short on time!
If you’re a hotel manager or professional exploring new opportunities, be sure to connect with the industry’s best hospitality recruiting agency!
Find Your Next Career Adventure Today!
For the latest postings in your area, check out the Goodwin Recruiting Job Board.